My favorite health quote:
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patient in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.”
- Thomas Edison in 1903
Has anyone heard about the “Ketogenic diet”, “Keto” or being in “Ketosis”? I’m sure many of you have, if not, I guarantee you will hear about it soon. I started researching the Keto diet or MAD (Modified Atkins diet) when I was diagnosed with seizures. I heard about the Keto diet when it was used in the 1920s to help reduce or stop seizures for children. Especially for children who were drug resistant with anticonvulsant drugs. That is how I first learned about the Keto.
Now, the interest in the Keto diet is at an all time high! I’ve learned that there are other significant healthy aspects about going Keto. Including weight loss, anti-aging, improving brain function, ADHD, Autism, Alzheimer’s and so much more. I like how some low carb, high fat supporters call it “The Big Fat Surprise”.
- Dr David Perlmutter. I read his Grain Brain book. He also wrote books like the Brain Maker. I like his research on how gluten affects the gut and brain.
- Dave Asprey. Founder of BulletProof Coffee. An advocate of high fat diet to maximize body and cognitive performance. The BulletProof coffee is really popular! When I heard about this recipe about 3 years ago, I made it at work and my coworkers were thinking I was crazy for putting butter in my coffee. Here is the recipe.
- Dominic D’ Agostino. My boyfriend found a podcast on him. It was with Tim Ferris on how he studied the Keto diet to combat oxygen toxicity in navy divers.
- Tim Ferris. I know of Tim Ferris as a “podcaster”. He is also a strong advocate for the Keto diet. He has amazing interviews with many doctors, neurologists and other Keto supporters talking about how Keto diet has SO MANY great benefits for the body.
- Jimmy Moore. I learned about Jimmy Moore from his cookbook “The Ketogenic Cookbook”. This was the first Ketogenic cookbook I bought! I liked his story on weight loss. He weighed about 410 pounds at 32 years old. He made the decision to start changing his lifestyle. Like what I am trying to do!
- Mark Sisson. Mark is a stud. My boyfriend told me about him through this podcast. If you noticed that I learned about all these Keto supporters from podcasts. Because my boyfriend LOVES podcasts. Mark is a distance runner, triathlete and Ironman competitor. He is 65 and this is the guy I want my Mom to date. Again, he is a stud. I read his book “The Keto Reset Diet”. He has great recipes, my favorite is these pizza bites! I trained my brain to get rid of bread. And I am a HUGE pizza fan so that recipe is a great replacement.
- Leanne Vogel. My sister actually sent me her podcast episode on Binge eating. I am a sweets binger. Chocolate, cake, candy, ice cream – Guilty as charged. I love Leanne’s audience as it is directed more towards women. I just bought her book “The Keto Diet”.
Here is a helpful article on 5 basic things you should know about the Keto diet: Look at #2 for me 🙂